We also created a spreadsheet to record temperatures inside & outside the Phoenix, soil temp., sun exposure, and humidity. It could be the beginning of a research and development project we undertake to assess Phoenix's capacity to maintain above-freezing temps in the dead of a Colorado winter. So far, temps have not fallen below 41 degrees even on sub-zero nights. We've been stoking the saunas on the most bitter of evenings but today we were granted FULL sun and the Phoenix rose to 88 degrees! No need for a sauna tonight.
I helped Jerome to organize his e-mail files, as there has been an influx in people interested in our tours, workshops, and courses. We're trying to stay on top of immediate responses to such inquiries since we always appreciate recognition of and interest in CRMPI. This summer will entail several workshops, two advanced course, the design course and a party to celebrate CRMPI's 25th year of operation!
Grants! We're buckling down this winter to write several grant proposals since much of recent funding has been redirected to the Growing Dome Project at the Roaring Fork High School. A project worthy of donations, however, it's now time to inject new ideas and fresh funding into CRMPI.
I watered all of Phoenix. These days, once a week hydration is sufficient. I picked all flowers from the spilanthes plants for Jerome's infamous tinctures.
The book project. I believe we have found an assistant with writing and editing skills to help us out with the greenhouse book! We need to prepare a sample copy for Chelsea Green Publishing due January.
Overall, Peter and I have been discussing CRMPI's functionality. At present, this is an amazing center for learning, training, teaching, research and development, growing food using sustainable practices, and exemplifying permaculture principles and ethics. CRMPI's potential is limitless. Ideas recently thrown our have been an elder care center, a livelihood program for individuals who need a launching pad for their own small business, consistent visits from college groups, etc. So there is only good that can come from this place, however, we are not currently functioning at full capacity. We need to begin revitalizing our funding, expanding our board, taking on a facilitator to help us re-organize and in general, bring CRMPI back up to a highly functioning non-profit. I see this winter as a wonderful opportunity for rejuvenation. Step by step we can get CRMPI back on its feet. And what a shame not to do so. All the ideas are here and our network of past students, volunteers and interns makes for an impressive history of connection to this site. The world is changing rapidly and permaculture, I believe, will undoubtedly help shape a future of peace and prosperity.
No comments:
Post a Comment